Facilitating Conciliation: Beyond Conflict Resolution
Description: Our society is crying out for alternatives to the adversarial approach to dealing with disputes. The possibility of conciliation exists in every situation. The people involved can make wise, responsible choices and can work together to develop solutions for common problems. This course is designed to equip the facilitator with the perspective and tools to bring a group through conflict to a place of peace. The course uses ToP® methods to reconcile differences.
The Phases of Conciliation are:
- Initiating the Dialogue
- Clarifying the Situation
- Expressing the Experience
- Articulating the Substantial Issues
- Generating Options
- Creating Resolution
- Planning for Implementation
The course addresses these phases in the four main modules:
- The Nature of Conflict
- The Phases of Conciliation
- Tools for Conciliation
- Designing Conciliation Processes
- Learn what fuels and sustains conflict.
- Hear many real-life examples of conciliation.
- Improved understanding of how to use ToP® techniques to address each phase of conciliation.
- Increased understanding about the ways conciliation occurs.
- The principles and practices of conciliation are applied to real-life conflicts.
- Enhanced confidence in facilitative leadership.
Who Should Take this Course:
- Experienced ToP® facilitators
- Those who want to lessen conflict and increase peace in our world
- Local, state and federal program managers
- Active citizens and community workers
- Organization development consultants
- Community agencies
- Community planners
Course Length: 2 days
Prerequisite: ToP® Facilitation Methods