Holly Burkett, SPHR, CPT, PhD
Certified ROI Professional (Jack & Patti Phillips’ ROI Institute)
Over fifteen years of demonstrated leadership as a results-oriented organizational development professional in a range
of dynamic public and private sector environments. A collaborative business partner with proven ability to work effectively with diverse executives, senior leaders, front-line managers, and project teams around aligning learning, performance, and strategic needs. Established track record of enhancing organizational effectiveness and skill capacity for measurable, sustained impact. An accomplished learning
leader and talent builder, a seasoned change agent and performance catalyst, an expert in transferring learning to the workplace, and a recognized innovator with excellent facilitation, presentation, consultation skills. Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), Certified Performance Technologist (CPT), and Certified ROI (return-on-investment) professional. Passionate about helping organizations grow resilient learning and performance capabilities that create high engagement and performance. Recognized with a 2017 “Global Learning & Leadership Award” from The World HRD Congress.
- Strategic Change Management / Culture Change
- Organizational Development
- Leadership Development
- Succession Planning, Career Development
- Human Capital / Talent Management
- Employee Engagement
- Performance Management & Improvement
- Training Needs Assessment
- Instructional Design
- Measurement & Evaluation (including ROI analysis)
Organizational Development / Consulting Experience – (Partial)
- Consultant (External) – Community Healthcare Association of the Dakotas (CHAD)
Contract consultant with Office of Performance Review (OPR), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA), which provides Grantee Technical Assistance.
Partnered with key stakeholders in design / delivery of organizational and leadership assessment processes, training and leadership development tools, start-up change management strategies, and evaluation frameworks for large-scale transition from output to outcome-based service model (two year engagement).
Outcomes included increased efficiencies, reduced redundancies, improved accountabilities, and improved focus on results for enhanced funding support and sustainable service delivery.
- Leadership Development / Learning Consultant (External) – International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union)
Partnered with global learning leaders in design of assessment strategies, standards, processes, and protocols to enhance learning outcomes with global International Management Development Program (IMDP).
Developed measures and metrics to monitor progress with skill development and capacity building outcomes.
Provided short and long-term executive and team coaching services to support execution of learning strategy.
- Leadership Development Consultant (External) – Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
Partnered with Executive Director and senior leadership team in design of organizational climate survey and supplemental engagement strategies.
Provided short-term executive coaching related to findings about identified leadership and management development needs and gaps.
- Learning Consultant (External) – National Security Agency (NSA)
Designed agency-wide standards for Action Planning as a learning transfer and performance improvement process.
Developed, facilitated staff training to support strategic and consistent implementation of the standards.
- Senior Training Consultant (Internal) – Apple Computer, Inc.
Partnered with cross-functional business units to analyze business, learning, and performance needs. Created, implemented employee and organizational development assessment tools, including Individual Development Plans (IDPs) and ISO qualification and performance assessments.
Designed, delivered, and evaluated competency-based leadership programs in support of talent management strategies, including Succession Planning initiatives. Implemented Apple America’s first HR / L&D Impact Study. Measured impact of Pilot Career Development program, which showed a 235% ROI.
Led transition strategy to evolve training measurement and evaluation processes, including targeted ROI analysis of select programs. Designed, delivered HR / L&D dashboard reports. Created governance processes to promote excellence in training standards and served as chief liaison with Steering Committee, executive team members.
Led high profile, start-up training for business-critical reengineering project. Pilot management team exceeded target goals for increased labor efficiency and reduced downtime. Achieved 183% ROI with training investment.
Provided customer-centered performance consulting, training and non-training performance support across all organizational levels.
- Organizational Development and Training Manager (Internal) – USCS International
As Corporate Training & OD Manager serving 2,000 staff, provided internal coaching and consultation to senior and mid- management staff to facilitate strategic change, foster employee engagement, leverage talent, build bench strength, and promote high performance.
Collaborated with business units to design, deliver one-off or multi-program leadership development strategies, including Executive and Mid-management training solutions and related performance support processes.
Managed budget, supervised staff of 4, managed vendor relations, and administered state ETP grant monies.
- Director of Educational Services (Internal) – Crestwood Hospitals
Directed start-up activities for newly established professional services department serving 3,500 cross-functional employees across 24 regional sites. Consulted, partnered with business managers statewide. Designed learning solutions focused upon Leadership Development, Customer Service, Change Management, and Team Building.
- University of Southern Mississippi, Doctorate, Human Capital Development
- University of San Francisco, Masters, Human Resources and Organization Development
- Association of Talent Development (ATD)
- Association of Change Management Professionals (ACMP)
- Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI)
- International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) – Co-Chair, Certification, Accreditation, & Governance Committee
- Adjunct Faculty – Drexel University, University of California Davis Extension (UCDE)
- Network for Change and Continuous Innovation
- ROI Network
Professional Certification and Awards
- Certified Change Management Practitioner: Prosci®
- Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources: SPHR
- Certified ROI Professional: ROI Institute
- Certified MASTER Trainer: Development Dimensions International (DDI)
- Certified Facilitator: Ken Blanchard Companies, Situational Leadership
- Certified Facilitator: Blessing White, Managing Personal Growth
- Certified Facilitator: Steven Covey, Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- Certified Performance Technologist: CPT
Awarded: 2017 Global Training and Development Leadership Award, World HRD Congress
Awarded: 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Southern Mississippi
Publications and Presentations (Partial)
- Burkett, H. (November, 2017). Learning for the Long Run: 7 Practices for Sustaining a Resilient Learning Organization. Alexandria: ATD Press.
- Burkett, H. (2015). “Talent Managers as Change Agents.” In The ATD Talent Management Handbook, edited by T. Bickham. Alexandria, VA: ATD Press.
- Burkett, H. (2011). “Case Study: Community Healthcare Association of the Dakotas.” (Dessinger, J.; Moseley, J.; & Van Tiem, D., Eds). Fundamentals of Performance Improvement, (3rd ed). San Francisco: Wiley.
- Burkett, H. (2010). “Action Planning as a Performance Measurement and Transfer Strategy”. (Phillips, P. ed) In ASTD Handbook of Measuring & Evaluating Training. Alexandria: ASTD Press.
- Burkett, H. (2008). “Measuring ROI in a Career Development Initiative”. (Phillips, P. & Phillips, J.J. eds) In Measurement and Evaluation Series Casebook. San Francisco: Pfeiffer.
- Burkett, H. & Phillips, P. (2008). Data Conversion: Calculating the Monetary Benefits. NY. John Wiley & Sons.
- Burkett, H; Phillips, J.J; Phillips, P.; & Stone, R. (2006). The ROI Fieldbook: Strategies for Implementing ROI in HR and Training. St. Louis: Elsevier / Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Burkett, H. (2002). “Leveraging Employee Know-How with Structured How-to Training ” In Action: Implementing On the Job Learning. Jacobs, Ronald (ed). American Society for Training and Development Alexandria.
Presentations (Partial) – Featured Speaker for the following:
- Association for Talent Development International Conference (2006-2018)
- International Society for Performance Improvement (2006-2018)
- National Grant Professionals Association Conference (2012-2014)
- HR West, Human Resource Professionals Conference (2018)
- Academy of Change Management Professionals International Conference (2018)
- Network for Change and Continuous Innovation Conference (2018)
- California Higher Education Collaborative Conference (2018)
- ROI Network International Conference (2002-2012)
- The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- The National Security Agency
- The National Park Service
- The Federation of State Medical Boards
- Drexel University (blended learning curriculum)
- University of California Davis Extension (UCDE)
- California Department of Transportation (CalTRANS)
- American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
- UCD School of Veterinary Medicine
- California State University Sacramento (CSUS)